Building Division

Improved Process and Fee Payment Sequence for Building Permits:

Effective January 1, 2022, the Town will only require payment of the plan review fee with submittal of a building permit application and plan set.  Applicants will be notified of remaining fees and/or charges due via email.  All remaining building, plumbing, and mechanical permit fees and utility connection charges must be paid prior to permit issuance. 

Please continue to submit all applications, plans, and associated documents electronically to:

Building permits must be obtained prior to starting work.  Please plan your projects accordingly and apply for required permitting in advance. Commencement of projects prior to obtaining proper permitting may result in after-the-fact fees, which start at a minimum of $50, and/or a Stop Work Order.  

What building codes do I need to follow?

Construction must conform to standards adopted by the Town of Friday Harbor and the State of Washington. 

We administer State Adopted Codes under Title 15 of the Friday Harbor Municipal Code (FHMC), which include: International Building Code, International Existing Building Code, International Residential Code, Uniform Plumbing Code, International Mechanical Code, International Fuel Gas Code, Washington State Energy Code, and International Fire Code.  Please refer to the Town's adopted state building codes for additional details.

Construction must also conform to standards in FHMC Title 17 (Land Use Regulations), Title 19 (Shoreline Master Program), and the Town of Friday Harbor 2002 Comprehensive Plan.

Where do I find the Town's local design criteria?

The Town of Friday Harbor follows the same Design Criteria as San Juan County, click here for the full list.

Do I need a building permit?

Please contact Community Development and Planning to determine whether the scope of your proposed project requires a building permit.

Where do I find building permit applications?

You may visit Town Hall's Administration office to pick up building permit applications or you can download them from our Building Permits page.  You may also find our Building Permit Guidelines helpful.

Where do I obtain an electrical permit?

The Town of Friday Harbor does not issue electrical permits.  You may apply for and obtain electrical permits from the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.

How do I request an inspection?

Please request an inspection of your permitted project at least 24 hours in advance by emailing: 

Include your name, permit number, and type of inspection being requested.

If you do not have access to email, please call 360-378-2810 ext. 248.

  1. Ryan Ericson

    Community Development & Planning Director

New Community Development & Planning Office Hours:

M-F, 11 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Meetings are scheduled by request.

Submit all applications, plans, and associated documents to: