Town of Friday Harbor 2023 Housing Action Plan (HAP)
Our community needs your input!
What is a Housing Action Plan (HAP)?
The HAP is a planning tool that looks at housing stock, housing affordability, housing needs, housing types, and regulatory constraints that might impede development of an adequate housing supply for our community.
The HAP will be used to design implementable housing strategies in Friday Harbor.
The project team has started a preliminary assessment of existing conditions, local housing constraints, and an evaluation regarding potential opportunities; these findings will be shared with the community later this summer. Upon completion of extensive research, community outreach, and public meetings, the Town’s HAP is scheduled for adoption in June 2023.
Multiple community engagement activities are planned throughout the duration of the HAP process and the information gathered from these activities will be used to develop and shape Friday Harbor's HAP. Community engagement activities will include pop-up events, digital storytelling, surveys, workshops, and public meetings.
How is the Town's HAP being funded?
The Town of Friday Harbor, as a city planning under the Growth Management Act (GMA), was awarded a $75,000 Housing Action Plan and Implementation (HAPI) Grant from the Washington State Department of Commerce to adopt a new HAP under RCW 36.70A.600.
- Resolution No. 2691 - Accepting Housing Action Plan Implementation Grant from Washington State Department of Commerce Growth Management Services.
- Resolution No. 2718 - Selection of and negotiation of services agreement with SCJ Alliance (HAP consultant).
- Updating GMA Housing Elements - Washington State Department of Commerce
- Housing Action Plan Implementation Awardees - Washington State Department of Commerce
- TFH Housing Action Plan Story Map
HAP Milestones & Anticipated Timeline
- Orientation Interviews with Stakeholder Groups - Friday, May 13, 2022
- Community Event at Friday Harbor Market Place - Saturday, May 14, 2022
- Community Survey - July through September 2022
- Micro-Survey Series - July through October 2022
- Planning Commission Workshop - Fall 2022
- Planning Commission Public Hearing & Recommendation to Town Council - May 2023
- Town Council Adoption of HAP - June 2023